Frequently Asked Questions

What are neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets are also referred to as ‘rare earth’ magnets because neodymium is a chemical element in the ‘rare earth’ section of the periodic table. They are used in a wide variety of applications and, as you will find from the size of the disc-shaped magnets used in our products, are said to be the strongest permanent magnets in the world.
 

I am allergic to nickel, is this a problem?

Our magnets are nickel plated to prevent corrosion since the magnet itself is not pure neodymium and contains some other elements including iron. A lot of our larger metal items are also nickel plated. Please contact us to clarify what materials have been used in a particular product.
 

Does it matter if I have a pacemaker?

As with all magnets there is a possibility they could interfere with the normal functioning of heart pacemakers. If in doubt and you are fitted with a pacemaker, please seek up-to-date advice from a medical specialist in this field.
 

Are my phone and other electronic devices at risk of damage from the magnets?

Although the magnets used in our products are strong for their size, there is a relatively low risk of them affecting magnetically sensitive devices such as mobile phones, mechanical watches, bank cards and digital storage media. Nonetheless, we recommend keeping our magnetised products at least 100mm from any magnetically sensitive devices.
 

Is it possible to break neodymium magnets?

Although most neodymium magnets used in our products are attached to other components with superglue or, more recently, 2-part epoxy adhesive, their makeup is such that they can be quite brittle and they should be handled with care and not subjected to any strong impact. If you do find any of the magnets has become damaged please dispose of with care and let us know about the circumstances.

Are neodymium magnets safe?

Neodymium magnets are safe to handle and should cause no issues if used in accordance with their function as connectors in our products. Due to their small size there is a chance that loose magnets could fly through the air if another magnetic object passes nearby, which carries a very small risk of injury. We advise keeping the magnets attached to our products at all times.

I swallowed a magnet, what should I do?

If for any reason a magnet (or part (in the unlikely event of one chipping or fracturing) is ingested or otherwise gets into areas of soft tissue in the body then emergency medical advice should be sought.

Are PIT products safe for children?

We seek to specialise in products that contain small, removable and interchangeable parts and our pin badges also contain sharp points. For this reason we recommend that they are not suitable for children under 10 years of age or anyone requiring supervision when handling small objects if at risk of ingesting them.

The components sometimes come loose, is this a fault?

As part of our efforts to create innovative designs we are constantly bringing new concepts to market. We encourage feedback so that we can work to try and resolve any issues, not only with you the customer, but also in our overall product quality. Loose components may occur and we encourage you to regularly apply gentle force to attachments to maintain the best grip.